homepage









 
Home About US
 

About US



Among the 1,100 WRT member households you will find the embodiment of Reform Jewish diversity in America today. Within our ever-evolving Reform tradition that seeks to find in ancient traditions meaningful expressions of prayer, song, ritual, study and community involvement, we try to satisfy all appetites for Jewish soul-food, spiritual and physical. We strive to realize this through our five pillars of Avodah (Spirituality), Chavurah (Community), Talmud Torah (Learning), Tikkun Olam (Repairing the World), and Clal Yisrael (The Jewish People).

The congregation was founded in 1953 and in 1954 world famous architect Marcel Breuer designed the original building with the sanctuary in the shape of a Star of David. Continuing in the tradition of creating meaningful spaces of worship and learning, in 2008 WRT completed a new “green” sanctuary and transformed the original spaces into new classrooms for our Religious School and a Beit Midrash – place of study. We are an active congregation that always seeks to honor the past with an eye to the future of our community and the world beyond our walls.

To meet the needs of a diverse, multi-generational community, Westchester Reform Temple’s architecture and landscape provide spaces for contemplation, study and celebration. Our architecture reflects our congregational ethic to be welcoming and inclusive to congregants with special needs as well as spaces for varied expressions of Jewish identity.

Designed with warm materials and natural light, the sanctuary creates a worship space that is sacred and intimate. Sanctuary seating and bimah complement the liturgical style, accommodating a wide-variety of services and life-cycle events. The unique east wall of glass turns nature, the light and sky, and the changing seasons, into a subtle, impressionistic backdrop for prayer. The campus also includes an event space, as well as new Religious School classrooms and a Beit Midrash - center of study.

Just outside the doors of the new sanctuary lies the Center for Jewish Life (CJL), providing an additional space for worship, gatherings, educational and social activities. The CJL is used weekly for services, meetings, music gatherings, interactive classes, lectures, yoga, cooking demonstrations and catered events.